Sunday, November 7, 2010

An Educational Philosophy

Over the years, I have heard so many stories about public schools.  I have heard anecdote after anecdote from various friends, or friends of friends concerning their experiences with the public school system.   I have 12 years of my own public/private school experience in which to reflect as well.  Every story I hear or memory I recall makes me so thankful I can homeschool my own children.  I've not heard a story yet that makes me wonder if my kids are missing out by being home with me.  I think this is remarkable.  Over the last 6 years, I've not heard one account in which private or public education comes out a winner.  I know there are good teachers, and I know there are good schools.  However those teachers are good in spite of the public education system, not because of it, and those schools are the exception, rather than the rule.  I can say this despite only having first hand knowledge of one or two public schools.  I don't need to know each particular school in depth, because it is the educational philosophy behind public education that is the problem, not the individual schools themselves.  My public school diatribe cannot end without an educational philosophy of my own.  So, here it is:

I teach my children to obey, for without obedience they will grow up fools.
I teach my children about the cross of Christ, for without the cross they are lost.
I teach my children about the grace of God, for without grace their guilty consciences have no hope.
I teach my children the 3 Rs, for without them they will grow up ignoramuses.
I teach my children discernment, for without discernment turmoil will follow them.
I teach my children to be kind to others, for a life lived without kindness is a life of death.
I allow my children to pursue what interests them; standing in their way would be unthinkable.

2 comments:

  1. faithann,
    i luv ur "philosophy"....i hope u don't mind me using is as a reminder 4 myself....

    joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joan. I don't mind you using it at all.

    ReplyDelete